Microsoft provides amazing opportunities for women. This month, JobsBlog is shining a spotlight on female leadership. In a new series of videos, we’ll share the voices of Microsoft women. Because everyone—from college intern to seasoned industry professional—can benefit from their insight.
Enter Patama Chantaruck. During her 17 years at Microsoft, Patama has held seven positions (subsidiary, regional, and worldwide). A native of Thailand, Patama started her career as a Product Manager at a Microsoft Thailand subsidiary, which was then in its infancy. She began as employee #13 and worked her way up.
Today, as General Manager of Worldwide Corporate Account Sales and Marketing, Patama is responsible for a $12 billion division in one of the fastest-growing segments of the company.
Here are seven principles this Redmond-based GM considers essential for success:
1. Do what you love and love what you do: “That’s how I started my career path at Microsoft. There was never one job I didn’t love.”
2. Take risks: “I have never said no to the opportunities that have been presented to me.”
3. Stand up for your beliefs: “I know what I stand for. My personal values drive my commitment for the organization and the role.”
4. Lead by example, or not at all: “There were times when I took a decision not to lead, but when I lead, I really do lead.”
5. Look forward: “I have made mistakes along the way, but I always look forward and apply what I have learned in whatever role I take.”
6. Never stop learning: “The more knowledge you have, the more creative you can be. The more you’re able to do, the more solutions you have at your disposal. Knowledge is your best key to overcoming whatever obstacles are in your way.”
7. challenges, and don’t underestimate your potential. “The situations that bring out our best are those that challenge us. Challenge provides the opportunity for greatness. Take risks when it comes to following your career aspirations!”
To women in particular, Patama says: “The world is your playground: There is nothing you cannot achieve if you set your heart and mind to it. There are always windows in the glass ceiling, so it does not have to be shattered into pieces to break through. Being a woman doesn’t take away from who and what you are; in fact, it adds a whole dimension to you as a person and the way you handle issues and challenges.”
See Patama in person:
Microsoft provides opportunity for women at all levels of management, around the world. In a new video series about women in leadership, you’ll hear more from Patama and other women (both senior and junior levels of experience) who have honed their skills and launched their careers at Microsoft.
Get to know Juliana Gomez, who launched the video series:
Brazilian-born Juliana Gomez, Director of Microsoft IT in the Ukraine, drove the new women-in-leadership video series.
On JobsBlog, watch as Juliana shares her own views on women and success in the workplace:
Here’s how to fulfill your potential at Microsoft:
Visit Microsoft Careers today.